By Katerina Bonderud, TIWP Student
Uncertainty is unsettling. I know I’m not the only one who feels this way, that’s one thing for certain. Uncertainty becomes scary and overwhelming when your mind jumps to the bad endings. Everyone wants some sort of happy ending, right? So why not dwell and fear the worst? Well yeah, you could do that. But it’s not exactly the most advised and healthy thing to do.
Apparently, this fact doesn’t stop people’s brains from going rouge. Instead of being your best sidekick, the part of you who always looks out for safety and alerts you when there is danger, your brain looks for and creates the danger.
I know I’m not the only one who has my sidekick brain go out of whack sometimes. Actually, I find when life is so uncertain and when so many awful things keep popping up in my life and in the world, that my sidekick goes into this rouge mode. So, in order to get her back on track, here are some things I know to be true:
- The world isn’t going to actually end tomorrow. This planet of ours is in the perfect part of the solar system—not too far away from the fire-y star in the sky, and not too close. This kind of makes life a miracle. Okay, not just kind of. Life is pretty amazing.
- Nature is beautiful. She doesn’t care to conform, but rather grabs a hold of every free space on the ground and reaches for the stars.
- We go to school to learn how to read, write, and do arithmetic. But by the time schools ends, we have learned so, so much more than what we set out to learn.
- It is sometimes scary to speak out and be the only voice. But when you do, you find that others had the same idea.
- Just because life is hard right now, doesn’t mean it will stay this way. Hard times can push you to the ground and kick you while you’re down. But from the pain, you grow, and learn how to stand back up.
- There is a balance between good and bad in your life. If you don’t see any good, look for it. It likes to hide sometimes.
- Life is so much fun when you are doing the things you love and when you are surrounded by people you love. Seek out a life you love.